In the wintertime, you need an extra layer to protect you from the cold, even when you’re inside. A cardigan is a perfect solution – they give you a little bit of extra warmth, and they’re soft and stylish. There are also many different types of cardigans, so you can find one that suits your style very easily. Many people wonder how to style a cardigan for winter outfits. The key is to find a cardigan that’s flattering for your body and balance it with the other pieces in your outfit. When styled well, you can wear a cardigan for anything from a day at work to a night out with friends. Here are some of the best ways to style a cardigan and create cozy winter outfits.
Popular Cardigan Styles
There are many different styles of cardigans, so no matter your style, you should be able to find one that will pair well with other pieces in your wardrobe. When wondering how to style a cardigan, the answer depends mainly on which type of cardigan you are wearing. Here are some of the most popular styles of cardigan.
- Fitted cardigan: This is one of the most popular cardigan styles, and it’s perfect for those who like simple pieces with clean lines. It pairs well with almost anything and has a very preppy look.
- Drapey cardigan: This cardigan is much more edgy and has a loose fit. Although it has a relaxed fit, it still looks very sophisticated.
- Cropped cardigan: This is another cardigan style that is very preppy. A cropped cardigan will make your legs and torso look longer.
- Oversize cardigan: This cardigan falls all the way down to your legs and looks great with fitted pants and tops.
- Printed cardigans: Cardigans don’t have to be boring – there are so many styles that come in bright prints and have interesting details, like appliques and ruffles.
Best Cardigan Outfit Ideas
If you’re wondering how to style a cardigan for the wintertime, you have many different options. The key is to pair the cardigan with items of appropriate proportions and make sure the colors don’t clash. Here are the best cardigan outfit ideas.
- Cardigan with pencil skirt and blouse: If you are wearing a cardigan to the office, this is an excellent way to style it. Although this looks quite traditional, it is very flattering and will instantly make you look pulled together and professional. A cropped cardigan with a high-waisted pencil skirt is a great option.
- Cardigan with jeans, boots, and an edgy top: For an excellent casual look that’s appropriate for running errands or even going to brunch, pair a drapey cardigan with your favorite jeans. Finish the look off with boots and a stylish top. The best thing about this look is that it’s versatile – you could wear anything from a t-shirt to something with sparkles or studs.
- Cardigan with body con dress: If you’re looking for a way to soften up your favorite body con dress for a night out, a long knit cardigan is the perfect way to do it. Just make sure you pick an option that’s made with a luxurious fabric, and wear it with more formal heels.
When to Wear Cardigans
There are so many occasions upon which you might wear a cardigan. They are an excellent option for work or school, because they’ll keep you warm and can make even the most basic outfit look a bit more pulled together. They are also perfect for running errands or casual social outings, like a coffee date or movie, where you don’t know exactly what temperature it’s going to be. You can easily remove the cardigan if the heat is on, but put it back on as soon as things get cold again. Cardigans also work well for things like happy hour drinks or a date night. They add a softness to clothes that are a bit more edgy or dressed up. One of the best tips for how to style a cardigan is to play with opposites – if a piece is very casual, you can use a high end cardigan to make it look more dressed up, but if it is more formal or edgy, you can use a drapey cardigan to make it look more relaxed.
Who is Wearing Cardigans
Many celebrities and street style stars have been sporting cardigans lately, and they are great inspiration for how to style cardigans. Model Kendall Jenner recently rocked a long cardigan with a pair of matching pants for a look that was bold and eye catching. Meanwhile, actress Sienna Miller rocked a more toned-down look featuring a preppy button-down cardigan, striped slouchy pants, and chunky heels. For a really bold look, Instagram influencer Bettina Looney styled a bright floral cardigan over neutral slacks. These are just a few of the many ways you can style a cardigan – it’s easy to put your own twist on this trend.